A reference to all the various tooling that may be involved with developing Fallout 4. This page will include official, community made, and third party software projects.
Armor and Clothing Design[edit | edit source]
- Marvelous Designer: A 3D digital painting and sculpting software for Model Files, specifically for clothing and armor.
- Marvelous Designer
- As of this writing, offers perpetual licensing as well as monthly subscriptions.
- Outfit Studio: A 3D digital sculpting tool for Model Files, specifically clothing, armor, and body creation/conversion.
Audio and Dialogue[edit | edit source]
- Audacity: Open source, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Sound Files.
- Exports into XWM format.
- Creation Kit ESM Version Check Patch: A patch to remove the ESM version check from 32-bit Creation Kit so that lip files can be generated after patch 1.10.162.
Character Design and Animation[edit | edit source]
- F4Biped Animation Rig: An animation kit for first person, third person, and vanilla animation import for Actor Model Files.
- Face Ripper: A tool to transfer the player character face from one plugin to another.
- Face Ripper
- Used for the creation of companion mods or unique NPC mods.
- Fallout 4 Animation Kit: A detailed guide with tools and plugins for importing and exporting animations for Actor Model Files.
Documentation, Planning, and Promotion[edit | edit source]
- Canva: A web-based multimedia design tool with which one can generate visual content for websites and social media.
- Google docs: A web-based word processor.
- LibreOffice: An open-source office productivity software suite.
- OBS - Open Broadcaster Software: Open source software for video recording and live streaming.
- Pastebin: A web-based text editor.
- Scrivener: A word processing, metadata, note-taking, and outlining management software suite.
- Trello: A web-based list-making application for projects.
- WordPress.org: Free, open-source website management software.
- WordPress.com: Free and paid website hosting service using WordPress.org open-source code.
Plugin Management[edit | edit source]
- Stupid Simple Plugin Manager: A plugin management software.
- Stupid Simple Plugin Manager
- Used for quickly enabling/disabling plugins during testing and debugging.
- Wrye Bash: A plugin management software.
Textures and Models[edit | edit source]
- GIMP: An open source image manipulation software for Texture Files.
- Inkscape: A free vector graphics program for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- Used for complex paintings, illustrations, logos, poster art, HUD elements, etc. Adobe Illustrator's free competition.
- Material Editor: An editor for Material Files, both .bgsm and .bgem extensions.
- Material Editor
- There is also a Material Editor that came with the Creation Kit in the tools folder.
- Materialize: An open source PBR texture generation tool for creating custom Texture Files for Windows 64.
- Mudbox: A 3D digital painting & sculpting software for Model Files and Texture Files.
- Quixel Mixer: A PBR texture generation tool for creating custom Texture Files.
- Substance Painter: A 3D digital painting software for Texture Files.
- Texconv.exe: A command-line texture compression and mip-map generation utility.
- TexconvGUI: A simple GUI for Microsoft's Texconv and can be used for grayscale heightmaps among other things if one does not have access to Adobe Photoshop.
- XboxDDSTextureLoader: For use by qualified Xbox One XDK developers, allows you to see Xbox textures ("XBOX" FourCC pixel format) on your PC.
User Interface[edit | edit source]
- SoThink SWF Decompiler: A Flash decompiler to convert SWF to FLA and extract SWF resources. Windows and Mac versions.
- Sothink SWF Decompiler
- There's a 30-day free trial.
Utilities[edit | edit source]
- 7zip: A free data compression tool for Windows and Linux. It supports RAR 2, 3, 4, and 5 formats as well as ZIP format.
- Champollion Pex to Papyrus Decompiler: A command line tool to decompile PEX binary files into human-readable PSC files.
- HxD: A binary file editing software for raw data manipulation.
- Notepad++ and Visual Studio Code have plugins for viewing raw data.
- Inspiration Pad Pro: A random data generation program.
- StringBuilder: A utility for building incremental strings upon copy and pasting.
- WinRAR: A Windows data compression tool that focuses on the RAR and ZIP data compression formats for all Windows users.
Version Control and Bug Tracking[edit | edit source]
- AFKTrack: A bug tracking application designed for mod authors.
- GitHub: A web-based GUI for Git that provides hosting for software development version control.
- You can also make static websites and have a wiki for your mod project.
- Perforce: Free version control for up to 5 users and 20 workspaces.
Worldspaces[edit | edit source]
- terrain.party: A web-based tool for real-world height map data.
- Wilbur: A fractal map generator for terrain data height maps.
- WorldMachine: A procedural painting and sculpting tool for generating terrain height maps for import into the Creation Kit.
- Free version produces height maps that are 512 x 512.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are plenty of other tools that can be used and listed.
- If a tool would be linked to directly, multiple times, then consider creating a standalone tool page and adding it to the Tooling category.
See Also[edit | edit source]
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Tooling"
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total.